1.) I failed at getting into the Agency at UF. I applied hoping to get more advertising experience during my senior year before I entered the workforce post-graduation. I did my best on my application, made my resume the best it could be, got pointers from people I knew in the Agency and still didn’t even get an interview. After receiving my rejection email I asked why they did not take me so I could get some constructive criticism, and they never gave any real advice or information that I could learn from. This was a hard hit because I really thought I was going to get in. I also was mad that they didn’t give me any constructive criticism on my application or resume.
2.) Even though I didn’t get in or receive any constructive criticism from the Agency, I still learned from this experience. Them choosing to not give me a chance or help me learn from why I wasn’t chosen, I learned that you aren’t always going to be given other’s time to learn from. That’s a learning experience all in its own. I learned that doing free work isn’t always the best for your future either, I ended up being happy that I wasn’t in the Agency for my senior year because of this. I also learned that you won’t get the positions you always want, learning to accept rejection from this was very important for me.
3.) I was very angry after learning I wasn’t given a chance for the position I applied for in the Agency, but I learned from my failure and it has made me better at accepting rejection. I wasn't angry anymore after I accepted that rejections will happen. My perspective on failure is that it is hard, but its inevitable. I think it is even more important to apply for everything I want, because even if I fail at getting in, at least I tried and I can learn from it and make myself better for the next one.
Hey Madi, I'm sorry to hear you did not get accepted in to the Agency and they didn't give you any constructive criticism to learn from. Though, I truly believe everything happens for a reason. I really enjoyed reading your second and third point, I agree that every failure is a learning experience. Accepting rejection is always going to be hard but I think it happens when something is not meant to be part of your life path and it is only making room for the things that should be part of it.
ReplyDeleteHi Madi!
ReplyDeleteI think it is insane that in an educational setting such as UF they did not give your constructive criticism. I think it was very mature of you to reach out to them to see how you went wrong so that could learn from it. The whole point in going to college is to learn so I am sorry they did not help you grow more in the process.